The deadline for this opportunity has now passed. Thank you to everyone who applied; we received over 200 applications and want to make sure everything is read with due care and attention, so please bear with us and we’ll be in touch soon. All applicants should have received a confirmation email.
Role: Assistant to Jo Unwin
JULA is a dynamic literary agency based at Somerset House in London. The agency represents debut and best-selling authors published in the UK, US and internationally.
We are excited to announce that we’re looking for a full-time agent’s assistant to Jo Unwin. The ideal candidate will be a passionate reader who enjoys both commercial and literary fiction, and is aware of the world around them. You will be highly organised with exceptional attention to detail and be good at multi-tasking and working under time pressure. It is important that you have excellent interpersonal skills and are emotionally sensitive and mature, with an entrepreneurial spirit. Those who lack a voracious passion for reading need not apply.
Initially a 6 month fixed-term contract, the role is due to start in early March with a month-long handover period.
Assistant – up to £25k pa, depending on experience
Your responsibilities will include:
- Reviewing and managing submissions
- Administrative tasks; phones, diary, money tracking
- Completing and processing client tax forms, invoicing and money chasing, processing contracts and inputting them on agency software (training will be provided)
- Writing copy, keeping the website up to date
- Light office management
- Dealing with day-to-day client queries
- Reading client manuscripts and offering editorial feedback
- A year’s experience working in publishing, though we are open to the idea of people with experience & transferable skills
- Fluency in English
- Proficiency in Excel and Word
We are an equal opportunities employer, and if you don’t have a university degree but do have an appetite for a literary career, we’d love to hear from you.