Please note that Jo and Ella are closed to submissions from 16th November until 7th January 2019 to give them time to consider the submissions they have already received. Please do not send them a submission during this time as it will automatically be deleted. If you submitted your work before 16th November, we will respond to you as usual. We look forward to receiving your submissions again in the New Year.
Rachel is open to submissions. She will formally start at JULA on 7th January so please expect a response 6-8 weeks from then.
JULA accepts email submissions: they should be addressed to email@example.com. Please indicate whether your submission is for Jo, Ella or Rachel.
Guidelines for what to send, and how, below:
- Please put your name and the title of your manuscript in the subject line of the email, followed by, in brackets, the type of book it is, for example Tom Jones, THE DOGS (YA fiction).
- Please send a personal but formal email ‘cover letter’ introducing yourself and work. Use this to give as much sense as possible of who you are and what and why you’re writing. Include an email address even if you submit by post.
- Please attach a one or two page synopsis and the first three chapters ONLY of the manuscript. PLEASE IDENTIFY EVERY ATTACHMENT WITH YOUR NAME AND THE TITLE OF THE BOOK, FOLLOWED BY (SYNOPSIS) OR (CHAPTERS). Please don’t send lots of emails, or more than two attachments (i.e. synopsis and sample). If you’ve written lots of books, just choose one for us to focus on for the time being.
- We can’t acknowledge receipt of submissions – it’s just too time-consuming.
- The manuscript and synopsis should either be in Word or PDF format and should be 1.5 or double spaced, and pages should be numbered.
- Please don’t send an email asking if we’d like to see your work. If there’s nothing attached, we’ll just press delete (I know – but got to be cruel to be kind).
We will get back within 6-8 weeks. Please only ‘prod’ us if you haven’t heard after six weeks, though do let us know if you have interest elsewhere. We’re afraid we can only give you feedback if one of us is considering representation.
Jo, Ella and Rachel are looking for authors from the UK and Ireland, and sometimes Australia and New Zealand. Please note that we will only take on authors from the USA in VERY exceptional circumstances.
Please also note that Jo does not represent works in translation, though Ella and Rachel will consider them.
Please do remember that the relationship between an author and agent is very personal, so you may write something fantastic that just isn’t for JULA. There are so many brilliant books that we’ll never read, bookshops are heaving with books that someone loves, but we’ll never get round to. So be as professional as you can, and try not to take rejection personally.