Please note that we are currently closed to submissions and will reopen in January. Please do not submit your work to us during this time as it will automatically be deleted. If you’d like us to consider your work, we look forward to hearing from you in the new year.
JULA only accepts email submissions: they should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate whether your submission is for Jo, Milly or Rachel in your cover letter and the subject line of your email.
Milly and Rachel are currently closed to submissions while they catch up on what they have. They’ll likely re-open sometime in January, so do check back and re-send if you have a project you think most suits them – targeted submission is always the best approach, and they won’t be closed for long. Until then, anything sent for their attention will be deleted.
Guidelines for what to send, and how, below:
- In the subject line of your email, please put the name of the agent you are submitting to, your name and the title of your manuscript, followed by, in brackets, the type of book it is, for example FAO Jo Unwin, Tom Jones, THE DOGS (YA fiction).
- Please send a personal but formal email ‘cover letter’ introducing yourself and work. Use this to give as much sense as possible of who you are and what and why you’re writing. Include an email address even if you submit by post.
- Please attach a one or two page synopsis and the first three chapters ONLY of the manuscript. PLEASE IDENTIFY EVERY ATTACHMENT WITH YOUR NAME AND THE TITLE OF THE BOOK, FOLLOWED BY (SYNOPSIS) OR (CHAPTERS). Please don’t send lots of emails, or more than two attachments (i.e. synopsis and sample). If you’ve written lots of books, just choose one for us to focus on for the time being.
- We can’t acknowledge receipt of submissions – it’s just too time-consuming.
- The manuscript and synopsis should be in Word format and should be 1.5 or double spaced, and pages should be numbered. Please only send the attachments in PDF format if there’s a particular reason for doing so.
- Please don’t send an email asking if we’d like to see your work. If there’s nothing attached, we’ll just press delete (apologies – but got to be cruel to be kind).
Even if you haven’t heard from us, please do get in touch if you have interest elsewhere. We’re afraid we can only give you feedback if one of us is considering representation.
Jo, Milly and Rachel are looking for authors from the UK and Ireland, and sometimes Australia and New Zealand. Please note that we will only take on authors from the USA in VERY exceptional circumstances.
Please also note that Jo does not represent works in translation, though Milly and Rachel will consider them.
Please do remember that the relationship between an author and agent is very personal, so you may write something fantastic that just isn’t for JULA. There are so many brilliant books that we’ll never read, bookshops are heaving with books that someone loves, but we’ll never get round to. So be as professional as you can, and try not to take rejection personally.