Thanks for your interest. We are currently closed to submissions for the summer. We’ll update our website when we reopen.
JULA accepts email submissions only: they should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate whether your submission is for Jo, Milly or Rachel in your cover letter and the subject line of your email.
Guidelines for what to send, and how, below:
- In the subject line of your email, please put the name of the agent you are submitting to, your name and the title of your manuscript, followed by, in brackets, the type of book it is, for example FAO Jo Unwin, Tom Jones, THE DOGS (commercial fiction).
- Please send a personal but formal email ‘cover letter’ introducing yourself and work. Use this to give as much sense as possible of who you are and what and why you’re writing.
- If you have written fiction or memoir, please attach a one- or two-page synopsis and the first three chapters ONLY of the manuscript. If you have written non-fiction, please send a proposal that includes a brief description of the book, an author biography explaining why you are placed to write this book, one or two sample chapters and a chapter outline. PLEASE IDENTIFY EVERY ATTACHMENT WITH YOUR NAME AND THE TITLE OF THE BOOK, FOLLOWED BY (SYNOPSIS) OR (CHAPTERS) OR (PROPOSAL). Please don’t send lots of emails, or more than two attachments (i.e. synopsis and sample). If you’ve written lots of books, just choose one for us to focus on for the time being.
- We can’t acknowledge receipt of submissions – it’s just too time-consuming.
- The manuscript and synopsis should be in Word format and should be 1.5 or double spaced, and pages should be numbered. Please only send the attachments in PDF format if there’s a particular reason for doing so.
- Please don’t send an email asking if we’d like to see your work. If there’s nothing attached, we’ll just press delete (apologies – but got to be cruel to be kind).
We are very aware that submitting your work to an agency is an extremely stressful thing. Whilst we are unable to write back to everyone individually, on receipt of your work we do send out an email setting out what you can expect from us.
Even if you haven’t heard from us, please do get in touch if you have interest elsewhere. We’re afraid we can only give you feedback if one of us is considering representation.
Jo, Milly and Rachel are looking for authors from the UK and Ireland, and sometimes Australia and New Zealand. Please note that we will only take on authors from the USA in very exceptional circumstances.
Please also note that Jo does not represent works in translation, though Milly and Rachel will consider them.
Please do remember that the relationship between an author and agent is very personal, so you may write something fantastic that just isn’t for JULA. There are so many brilliant books that we’ll never read; bookshops are heaving with books that someone loves, but we’ll never get round to. So be as professional as you can, and try not to take rejection personally.